Decades of Appreciation
United Way Celebrates Over 40 Years of Publix-Brand Generosity
Publix Super Markets, Inc. has worked with United Way for more than 40 years to improve early education, build thriving families and support communities in the seven states where Publix operates.
Associates in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia, along with gifts from Publix Charities, have given a total of more than $850 million to United Way.
Publix is consistently one of the top donors to United Way, ranking No. 2 in the world.
“The money Publix raises makes a tremendous impact on children and families,” said Christina Criser Jackson, President and CEO of United Way of Central Florida.
“That’s only possible because of the generous associates who are dedicated to improving the lives of those around them,” she said.
Because of Publix’s support:
- 140,860 children received literacy support, leading to 84% of children reading at grade level
- 98,965 students participated in school and/or community-based program, resulting in 9 out of 10 seniors graduation on time
- 24,042 individuals accessed affordable housing, financial products and services, allowing 96% of participants to increase their disposable income
- 17,290 individuals participated in physical activity and gained access to healthy foods, with 91% of adults and children adopting healthy behaviors
“The work that we’re able to do, the services we can provide, so much of that is thanks to Publix and the legacy Mr. George left behind,” Criser Jackson said. “I am incredibly thankful to live in a community where so many are inspired to give back.”
Although United Way is a national organization, the money raised locally stays in those local communities. By working closely with a vast network of volunteers, local United Ways can raise funds to meet the needs of their neighbors.
Thank you to every current and former Publix Super Markets, Inc. associate for your contributions to United Way.
And thank you to the following individuals from Publix for volunteering to be a Chair for United Way of Central Florida.
- John Attaway – Allocations Chair (1993-1995) and Board Chair (1997)
- Barney Barnett – Campaign Chair (1994)
- Wesley and Ashley Barnett – Campaign Chairs (2016)
- Terry Brigman – Allocations Chair (2007, 2008), Community Impact Chair (2010-2013) and Board Chair (2014)
- Ed and Denise Crenshaw – Campaign Chairs (2018)
- Greta Dupuy – Board Chair (2019)
- Mark C. Hollis – Campaign Chair (1973)* and Board Chair (1974)*
- Tom Mclaughlin – Campaign Chair (2009)
- Bill and Marsha Vass – Campaign Chairs (2000)
* = United Way of Greater Lakeland